Forum » Off-Topic » Off-Topic Discussions » Problems with stepper motor drivers

Problems with stepper motor drivers

• Hi everyone!

I'm trying to use a stepper motor by myself, i have an Arduino UNO as the controller and a setpper motor driver DM556 from oyostepper.de.

Stepper motors have a torque of 3 Nm and consume up to 4A.
    So my goal is to use the motor to lift heavy weigth, i'm building a robot arm so this is the motor that handles the most Torque.

I'm trying to controll it without using the AccelStepper library because i want to create my own code.

The problem is that im trying to bring all the admissible current (4A) by setting the peak current of the DRIVER to 4.9 Amps. So in theory, the RMS current would be around 3.5 A.
    When i use a simple code that creates a square wave of 50% DT its impossible to drive the motor because the DRIVERS seems to fail.

It has a red ligth that indicates there is a problem, i also don't know what it means because the datasheet of the DRIVER doesn't explain the permanent red light case.
    By decreasing the peak current i can drive the motor, but just at low speeds, not exceeding 1kHz of pulse frecuency. Also mention that I set the microsteps to 2000 as the torque-speed curve of the motor indicates it.

What i'm doing wrong? i haven't seen information explaining the relation between microsteping, pulse width and current limit.
    This post was edited by Alex Green at July 27, 2024 1:25 AM PDT
      July 27, 2024 1:20 AM PDT