Forum » General » News and Announcements » www.thepackersfanshop.com

www.thepackersfanshop.com

GREEN BAY https://www.thepackersfanshop.com/Kyle-Murphy-Jersey , Wis.— Clay Matthews looked up into the Lambeau Field suites to find his parents before walking down the stadium tunnel for what might be the last time as a member of the Green Bay Packers.An offseason of change awaits in Titletown following a second straight year without a playoff appearance.A coaching search is already underway after Mike McCarthy was fired in early December, which leaves the futures of upcoming free agents like Matthews up in the air.More Packers coverageBucks’ Wes Matthews loves Wisconsin, is a Vikings fanPreview: Packers look to slow Vikings’ revitalized run gameTop Tweets: Yelich thanks fans for support after season-ending injuryAmos sparks rebuilt Packers defense in debutPackers to be tested again by familiar foe in Zimmer, VikingsMatthews, one of the last remaining links to Green Bay’s 2010 Super Bowl season, described the exit from the field following Sunday’s 31-0 loss to Detroit as “a little bittersweet … I was waving up to my parents up in the suite.”“So (my kids) will be waiting for me, wife, family and … I’ll carry on as Dad,” Matthews said.Players cleaned out their lockers on Monday and started meeting with interim head coach Joe Philbin and assistants for exit interviews. Philbin, who plans to interview for the position on a permanent basis, is handling the wrap-up responsibilities that come with the job, at least for the next few days.At 6-9-1, Green Bay finished under .500 for a second straight year. The Packers went 2-2 under Philbin, finally winning a road game in Week 16 after losing their first seven away from Lambeau.12View Gallery Gallery:FOX Sports Wisconsin's 2018 stories of the yearThe affable Philbin seems to have won over some key players in the locker room with his leadership style, demeanor and dry humor. Rodgers and receiver Davante Adams have each said that they hope Philbin stays, though they don’t expect to be part of the decision.“Joe’s funny, man, you’ve just got to get used to his type of personality,” running back Jamaal Williams said Monday. “Joe’s a good person … caring, always trying to look out for everybody.”The offensive coordinator for the 2010 Super Bowl team in his first stint with Green Bay, Philbin has familiarity with the franchise and Rodgers. He coached the Miami Dolphins for three-plus seasons without a playoff appearance before being fired four games into the 2015 season.“While it’s important that (team executives) do know me, there (are) some things we haven’t discussed. I want to present who I am, because it’s not going to work if they don’t like who I am,” Philbin said Monday. “I think fit and alignment in this particular situation (with team executives) is absolutely vital. And if it’s not, it won’t work.”The 57-year-old Philbin, who has coached for more than three decades, is also aware that the NFL is a business. In a team meeting before players began the chore of packing their belongings Justin Vogel Jersey , Philbin said he “talked to them about embracing change, whatever that may be and not looking at it as a negative, looking at it as a positive.”Regardless of whether the Packers stick with Philbin, the next coach will at least have Rodgers as a solid foundation on which to begin his tenure. The two-time MVP played through a left knee injury sustained in the season opener against the Bears, and then dealt with a sore groin late in the season before getting knocked out of the Lions game with a concussion.Rodgers’ 62.3 percent completion percentage was his lowest since 2015 (60.7 percent). His 25 touchdown passes were a low for a season in which he played at least 15 games, though so were his two interceptions.The emergence of Adams into an elite receiver helped. But injuries to Randall Cobb and Geronimo Allison forced the Packers to turn to rookies perhaps earlier than expected to fill the void at the position.20View Gallery Gallery:Fox Sports Wisconsin's 2018 photos of the yearBesides Matthews, Cobb is the other notable veteran facing free agency. Given the youth in the receiving corps, Cobb’s familiarity with Rodgers and ability to play the slot might be reasons to bring the receiver back.As for Matthews, he finished with a career-low 3½ sacks in his 10th season with the Packers, which was also the first under the tweaked 3-4 scheme installed by first-year coordinator Mike Pettine.“All my kids are doing awesome out here, we love the people, we’re settled here. It would be awesome if we stayed,” Matthews said. “But as I continue to say, these are uncharted times and we’ll kind of see what the future holds.” Patrick Mahomes has dazzled NFL audiences with no-look passes, left-handed throws and stellar performances in just his first full season as a starter.The dynamic Mahomes has the Kansas City Chiefs (11-3) leading the AFC and he’s already earning top honors.Mahomes barely squeaked past Drew Brees as the NFL’s top quarterback in 2018 in voting released Friday by a panel of 10 football writers for The Associated Press. Mahomes received six first-place votes, three seconds and one third. Brees got the other four first-place votes.“When Mahomes got off to a ridiculously good start, many wondered if he could keep up that pace. The answer has been a resounding yes, and the Chiefs’ gunslinger has shown no sign of slowing,” said New York-based Dennis Waszak Jr.Mahomes has 45 touchdown passes and a chance to become just the third player to reach 50. Peyton Manning set the single-season record with 55 TDs in 2013. Tom Brady had 50 in 2007.“The poster boy for wild creativity in the wide-open offensive environment that pervades the NFL, Mahomes has that star quality teams crave,” said New York-based Barry Wilner, who put Mahomes third behind Brees and Philip Rivers. “He also has the talent they desperately need to succeed.”At 39, Brees is having a sensational season. He already broke Manning’s record for career yards passing and surpassed Brett Favre’s mark for most completions. He’s on pace to break his own record for highest completion percentage in a season, and he has the New Orleans Saints (12-2) on the verge of securing the NFC’s No. 1 seed.“He’s taken his game to another level this year, posting some of the best marks of a brilliant career,” San Francisco-based Josh Dubow said.Rivers finished third in voting. The 38-year-old is having perhaps his finest season and has the Los Angeles Chargers (11-3) back in the playoffs with a chance to surpass the Chiefs for the top spot.“One of his generation’s most underappreciated players has finally begun to get the praise deserved for the Bolts’ 11-wins-and-counting surge,” said Minnesota-based Dave Campbell.Andrew Luck came in fourth after missing the entire 2017 season and returning to help the Indianapolis Colts get back into the playoff chase.“He’s back and so are the Colts. Wonder if Josh McDaniels has any regrets about reneging on that gig now Justin McCray Color Rush Jersey ,” said Denver-based Arnie Stapleton.Brady finished fifth in the poll after placing first in September.“Not the best season by his near-impossible standards, but the G.O.A.T. still has the Patriots a win away from yet another AFC East title,” said New York-based Simmi Buttar.Russell Wilson was sixth, followed by Aaron Rodgers, Jared Goff, Deshaun Watson and Ben Roethlisberger. Wilson has helped the Seattle Seahawks (8-6) move toward a playoff berth in what was supposed to be a rebuilding season.“Wilson has gone from a quarterback who rode a great defense to a Super Bowl title early in his career to one leading his team to a likely playoff berth this year,” Dubow said. “Few have the ability to extend plays like Wilson, who regularly turns what look like busted plays into big ones.”Rodgers has thrown only two interceptions, but he dropped in the rankings because the Green Bay Packers are 5-8-1 and cost coach Mike McCarthy his job. Rodgers hasn’t had a losing record since his first season as starter in 2008.“Having only two interceptions this season would be more impressive if the Packers were having more success,” Tennessee-based Teresa Walker said. “Instead, there’s not been much difference since firing Mike McCarthy.”Only 13 quarterbacks received votes. Matt Ryan was named on six ballots, Baker Mayfield was on three and Carson Wentz, who finished third in NFL MVP voting last season, made one list.The rankings:100View Gallery Gallery:View from the sidelines: NFL cheerleaders 2018Raj Mehta-USA TODAY Sports | Raj Mehta1. Patrick Mahomes, Chiefs2. Drew Brees, Saints3. Philip Rivers, Chargers4. Andrew Luck, Colts5. Tom Brady, Patriots6. Russell Wilson, Seahawks7. Aaron Rodgers, Packers8. Jared Goff, Rams9. Deshaun Watson, Texans10. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers
      October 11, 2019 12:27 AM PDT